GO TO http://s1.zetaboards.com/WeDoThis/index/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wise quits Leeds for Magpies role

3 posters

Go down

Wise quits Leeds for Magpies role Empty Wise quits Leeds for Magpies role

Post  rahavan Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:47 pm

Leeds United have agreed to let manager Dennis Wise join Newcastle as the Magpies' new director of football, BBC Sport understands.

The 41-year-old will join the club on Tuesday and will work under new Magpies manager Kevin Keegan.

A club statement said: "We have agreed a compensation package with Newcastle for the services of Dennis Wise.

"He will part with the club on Tuesday after completing preparations for the game at Southend on Tuesday."

Former Tottenham director of football David Pleat was surprised that Wise was offered the role at such a young age.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Wise has never been director of football before although he has been relatively successful coach at Millwall and was doing good work at Leeds.

"I would imagine it would be a completely new challenge for him and I have to say, it is usually a challenge that is given to a more experienced man."

Wise's former Chelsea team-mate Gavin Peacock was also shocked by the appointment and believes he may be lined up as a future manager at St James' Park.

He said: "I am surprised. I thought it would have been in a coaching capacity, but the director of football role surprises me.

"I think ultimately he would want to be manager of a football club.

"Maybe Kevin thinks he can start things and then maybe pass things on to him. I guess Kevin likes Wise and maybe has him lined up for that."

Theo Paphitis, who was chairman at Millwall when Wise was manager, believes Wise has been underestimated in his managerial career.

"He's disappointed that he's leaving Leeds as he's become fond of them, but it is an opportunity that he thought that he had to take," Paphitis told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Dennis is underestimated intellectually. He was such a passionate player on the pitch that people assume that intellectually his is limited, but I can assure you he is not.

"I think director of football is probably a role that he will enjoy."

Newcastle approached Leeds on Friday after former Newcastle striker Alan Shearer opted not to return to St James' Park as Keegan's number two.

Wise played for England under Keegan and has enhanced his standing at Leeds.

On the appointment of Keegan two weeks ago Wise said: "I worked with him at England and he did a very good job there. All the punters are pleased that he's gone back to Newcastle.

"He's a good man and all the people that have worked with him have enjoyed working with him. He's got a real good aura around him and it's nice to see him back."

The former Chelsea captain has guided Leeds into play-off contention in League One despite them starting the season on minus 15 points.

That penalty followed their going into administration last season and being relegated, and money remains tight at Elland Road.

Keegan himself would not be drawn on the subject of Wise at a Newcastle media briefing on Monday.

"Obviously, there are going to be some moves at this club, but I think the chairman Chris Mort has really got to come out and say what that's all about later this week."

It is the second time this season that Leeds chairman Ken Bates has lost a member of his managerial team to a Premier League club following assistant manager Gus Poyet's move to Tottenham earlier in the season.

rahavan

Back to top Go down

Wise quits Leeds for Magpies role Empty Re: Wise quits Leeds for Magpies role

Post  Dark_Night Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:51 pm

I don't like this guy.

He's a bit too cranky lol.
Dark_Night
Dark_Night
Admin
Admin

https://wedothis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down